Recipe o’ the Week: Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
September 3, 2009
Would I lie to you? As promised, a delicious recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Pie, just in time for the END OF STRAWBERRY SEASON! I know, its so sad. But we soldier on! Alors.
This recipe is from one of my favourite cookbooks, The Golden Anniversary Cookbook by the Ukrainian Women’s Association of Kenora. I think this recipe might be from the little old Ukrainian lady who lived across the street from me when I was a kid, but its hard to tell because it says “Mrs. T. Brykailo” in the book, and I never knew her husband’s name. I’m happier assuming it was her though, so lets say it was. : )
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
- Pastry for Double Crust Pie (I use the recipe on the back of the Crisco Box – classy!)
- 3 c. sliced Rhubarb
- 3 c. hulled, washed and sliced Strawberries
- 4 Tbsp. Flour
- 1/2 tsp. Nutmeg (I used Allspice)
- 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- 1/2 c. Sugar
- dash of Salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a 9″ Pie Plate with pastry. Combine fruit and dry ingredients in bowl, put into pie shell. Dot with butter.
- Cover with other half of pastry, flute edges and make slits for steam to escape. Brush top with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in 425 degree oven for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 375 degrees and continue baking 20-25 minutes until fruit is tender and crust is golden.
We made this two weekends ago with fruit from the Almonte Farmer’s Market and it was delish! It was pretty good for my sister’s first pie. I hope you enjoy it, maybe next summer when the strawberries come back. I will try to come up with some more seasonally appropriate recipes soon.