Recipe o’ the Week – Homemade Falafel
July 13, 2009
I had a realization the other day. Falafel is basically hummus, minus the tahini. And it has the added bonus of being fried. No wonder I love it!
Falafel Pita is the easiest dinner for these summer nights when you are only home once a week, and its actually pretty good for you, if you load the pita with fresh veggies. Delicious vegetarian bachelor chow!
- 15 oz. can of Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium Onion, chopped finely
- 1 tsp. chopped Garlic
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsely or Cilantro
- 1 tsp. Coriander
- 3/4 tsp. Cumin
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Flour
- Olive Oil for Frying
- Lemon Juice to Taste
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor.
- Form into 1-1/2″ balls, then flatten between hands. (Add water or flour if necessary to get a moist, firm ball.)
- Fry in batches in a heavy pan with a thin layer of oil over medium heat.
- Serve about three rolled in a warm pita with lettuce, tomato, red onion and tzatziki.
I know Peter doesn’t think of this as official bachelor chow, so to make it more b-chow-ish, you can serve it with McCain SuperFries, but I can’t say I recommend it!
Enjoy your busy summers, mes amis!